The project's aim is to involve contemporary culture and art into tourist activities on both sides of the border with the means of Karelian art-residency network and developing a new destination in cultural tourism - art tourism. Within two years, the project team with Russian and Finnish experts will create new services in the field of culture and tourism.
Will be organized:
- art residences in Kostomuksha and Sortavala and multimedia studio in Petrozavodsk;
- pilot program for artists in residence from Finland and the Republic of Karelia;
- four art tours (Petrozavodsk, Joensuu / North Karelia region, Sortavala, Kostomuksha);
- a number of problem, educational seminars, exhibitions and master classes;
- a set of measures to promote new cultural services and products to the tourism markets of Russia and Finland.
Tourist Information Centre of the Republic of Karelia (Lead Partner)
Karelian Art-Residency Network and Art Tourism
Lead partner: Tourist Information Centre of the Republic of Karelia
Kostomukshsky State Nature Reserve
Social and Cultural Youth Centre in Sortavala
Karelia Expert Matkailupalvelu Oy
Duration: 09.10.2018 - 30.09.2020
Project target groups:
- professional artists, both local and visiting (artists-in-residence)
- culture professionals
- tourist professionals
- local residents
The project is aimed at creation of new cross-sectoral initiatives, which will be developed through synthesis of contemporary culture and tourism and Karelian art-residency network. Within the framework of this initiative new contemporary culture space will appear in the cross-border region with cross-sectoral and interdisciplinary practice.
The expected change the project will make to the current situation
- Karelian art residency network has become a communicative and creative platform for artists and local communities; a mechanism for production and promotion of new cultural services in cross-border region.
- Professionals in culture and tourism fields on both sides of the border have received new knowledge and skills needed to work with art-residencies and art-tourism field.
- New cultural products based on cross-sectoral approach in the field of cross-border tourism have been created, marketed and launched to international tourist market.
- The number of cultural events aimed at both professional artists and local communities will increase that will contribute to attractive cultural environment.
- Cultural infrastructure improvement will attract more professional artists and culture professionals to work in the region; development of new cultural services for tourists (art-tours) will attract more tourists to the cross-border region.
- The accessibility of cultural services will increase also for local communities and the involvement of them in contemporary culture will also increase. This will contribute to making people stay in the region, and also will raise interest to new services in the field of art and culture.
Project office: Lenin Sq. 2A, 185035 Petrozavodsk, Republic of Karelia, Russia, telephone: +7 8142 78 38 04
Project manager Aleksey Tigushkin +79535301126, firstname.lastname@example.org
Project expert Sergey Terentev email@example.com
Project coordinator in Petrozavodsk Julia Korableva firstname.lastname@example.org
Project coordinator in Kostomuksha Nina Tarkhova email@example.com
Project coordinator in Sortavala Oksana Uchen firstname.lastname@example.org
Project coordinator in Joensuu Jonna Piipponen email@example.com