The results of the sociological research "Studying the obstacles and prospects for developing cross-border cooperation between Finland and Russia", KA4049 "SpeakBusiness"
The sociologist Denis Sachuk, together with the experts of the Karelian branch of the RANEPA conducted a sociological study within the framework of the KA4049 SpeakBusiness project on the development of cross-border business cooperation between Karelia and Finland (From 04.03.2019 to 04.04.2019).
As part of the study, 97 respondents were interviewed from among:
• business representatives,
• non-profit organizations,
• students studying in economics,
• state or municipal employees.
The key socio-demographic characteristics of the respondents examined in the survey are age, occupation, and education received.
Based on the results of these key issues, main findings can be emphasized:
1. The experience of cross-border cooperation is typical for NGO representatives, they are less interested in educational services, although they are able to formulate clearly what type of information regarding cross-border cooperation they are interested in.
2. The most promising group from the point of view of the upcoming project is the representatives of entrepreneurship. They are clearly interested in developing of their understanding regarding cross-border cooperation, recognize the lack of knowledge, are clearly focused on the development of competencies economic and project management knowledge.
3. A group of persons associated with state and municipal administration showed different kinds of assessments of both the situation with cross-border cooperation and their own knowledge. There is a lack of experience and skills (knowledge of foreign languages) of interaction at the international level. A group of students turned out to be the least competent, the accented desire to participate in an educational project was also not demonstrated.
4. A particular difficulty in the development of the project of the course is formed by the fact that carriers of different types of knowledge demonstrate different assessments regarding both the problems and the content of the course. A clear correspondence of the future course to the real socio-demographic characteristics of the participants in the educational program is necessary.
5. From an organizational point of view, a certain compromise was found regarding the frequency and duration of meetings within the educational program that the respondents desired (1-2 times a week for 2 hours).
The problems and obstacles in the development of social entrepreneurship, international business and sales between Finland and Russia identified as a result of a sociological survey will be studied in more detail by project experts to develop a practical module of the educational program for implementing CBC projects in the field of social entrepreneurship and business development.
Author: Olga Artemyeva, Head of the Department of Continuing Professional Education, Karelian Branch, RANEPA
The study was conducted in Finland as well by the University of Eastern Finland (Joensuu). Partners agreed on development of the questionnaire and adjusted each one for the target groups in their respective territory. In Joensuu the research was conducted by means on an online questionnaire. The link has been open online since 13 February 2019. The total amount of respondents by 30.10.2019 is 37.The results are used in developing a business course addressing the interest and needs related to international business.