Existing theatre services in the cross-border region demand renewal of formats used and reorientation to youth and families with children. The project aims at development of various, competitive, interactive and client-oriented theatre services both in Russian Karelia and North Karelia of Finland.
Follow project news in social media:
- State National Theatre of the Republic of Karelia, Lead Partner
- Finland-Russia Society (Eastern Finland branch)
- Theatre Society of Northern Karelia / Theatre of Joensuu
- North Karelia Municipal Education and Training Consortium Riveria
- State Puppet Theatre of the Republic of Karelia
- Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Karelia
- Karelian Union of Theatre Artists
Today theater art on both sides of the border has moved beyond traditional perception. Theaters have become sociocultural centers, magnets for diverse creative initiatives. However, if it is clear to everyone that the theater is based on the synthesis and intersection of various genres and artistic means, then the “cross” forms of work with the audience in the theater cannot yet be called well-established models.
The project implies the development of new competitive forms of work with the audience by attracting young theatre professionals. It is the young professionals with modern vision and a lively mind that can become drivers in the development of relevant and requested theater services.
Remaining free in the choice of topics, techniques and communication formats, they are in the best position to build intercultural dialogue, that meets the needs of the main project target group - families and youth. Speaking of new forms, the priority is given to the mobility and interactivity of theatrical products and services.
Theater Crossroads is an integration of professional and spectators’ interests that satisfies the needs of both parties.
Theater Crossroads is a union of professionals and partners in the field of culture and education that is aimed at creating new communication formats in the theater.
Theater Crossroads is an intersection of communicative, sociocultural and creative approaches in theater activity on both sides of the border that contributes to the development of a theater as a multifunctional space.
What the project is organizing?
- Laboratory on baby-theatre technologies in Petrozavodsk in November 2018;
- Demidov Theatre School in Petrozavodsk in March 2019.
- Training seminar for theatre technical specialists from the Republic of Karelia and North Karelia on contemporary theatre media technologies in Finland in June 2019;
- Theatre camp in Outokumpu for theatre actors from the Republic of Karelia and North Karelia in Finland in June 2019;
- Theatre camp for theatre actors from the Republic of Karelia and North Karelia in the Republic of Karelia in the summer 2020.
What the project is producing?
- Two joint performances for youth, including one landscape performance, based on the use of the mobile theatre platform;
- Two new joint plays for children (one for infants from 0 to 3 years old and one for children 3-4 years old) based on the use of the baby-theatre stage-transformer;
- Educational programs oriented to children, youth, and families in Petrozavodsk;
- Cross-border touring program presenting performances for children, families and youth in August 2020.
What the project is purchasing?
- Relocatable stage platform for cross-border tours;
- Sound and light equipment (a stage-transformer) and audience area for baby theatre activities.
What the project is establishing?
- Theatre Cross-Roads Innovation Hub that will design educational programs oriented to children, youth, and families.